To help you through these difficult times, we have put together a list of resources.
We have verified these services as of March 25 but since the current situation may change, please be sure to call and/or visit websites provided to ensure that they are still offering the services noted.
United Way is also a resource for community services. You can reach them by dialing 211 or at http://www.211.org
Table of Contents:
- Utility Bills
- Food Sources
- Government Programs and Services
- Job Help
- Internet Services/Computers
- Spiritual Enrichment
- Lourdes Corona Virus Relief Fund Application
The utility companies below have suspended utility disconnections for pre-pay and post-pay accounts through April 13. If your company is not listed, please contact them to see if they are also suspending disconnections.
You must notify your company if you are unable to pay your bill and they will work with you to set up a payment plan. For pre-pay accounts your past usage balance will need to be paid by that date and you will need to prepay for service moving forward will also be due. That may change so call them.
Rent, Mortgage, Loans
Many companies are offering deferred payment of rent, mortgage, bank/car/student loans, credit card debt etc. If you have any kind of loan payment due that you cannot pay, please contact them to see if they have put any kind of program in place that allows you to postpone payment to ease the financial pressure you are under.
- ATLANTA PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
- Free Bagged Meal for Children in Atlanta Public School System
Five distribution sites open from 10 a.m. to noon — Monday – Friday.
- Douglass High School
- Cleveland Avenue Elementary School
- Bunche Middle School
- Sylvan Middle School
- Phoenix Academy, which is located at Crim High School.
- Free bag of shelf-stable grocery items for Atlanta Public School families
- Atlanta Community Food Bank, 732 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
10 a.m. – noon — Monday – Friday
- Atlanta Community Food Bank – call to confirm hours etc.
- Text “FINDFOOD” in English or Texto “COMIDA” to 888-976-2232 to locate food pantries near you or log in to https://acfb.org/covid-19-help-map
- Food Finder – log in to https://foodfinder.us/ – call to confirm hours etc.
- Other Food Sources – confirmed as of 3/24/20
- Abraham’s House (Atlanta) – Lunch every Wed. 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and food box every 4th 10 a.m. – noon
- Community Action Center (Sandy Springs)– Food distribution Mon. – Fri. 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. at 8607 Roswell Road – 770-552-4015 – http://www.ourcac.org
- Decatur Area Emergency Assistance Ministry (Decatur) – Food pantry – M, Tu, Th, Fri – 9 – 11:30 a.m. – 404-373-2300 – http://www.deamdecatur.org – zips served 30002, 30030, 30079, 30032, 30033, 30306, 30307, 30316, 30317
- Family Life Ministries (East Point) – Food pantry – Tues. – Fri – 9 – 11:30 a.m. – 404-761-6302 – 404-761-6302 – http://www.familylifehelps.org – zips served 30344 and 30337
- Family Life Restoration Center (Mableton)– Food pantry – Tues.-Fri. 10 a.m.- 3 p.m.-770-944-1066 – http://www.familyliferestorationcenter.org
- Greenforest Social Ministry (Decatur) – call for food pantry appointment – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – M, Tu, Th, Fri – 404-486-6771 – http://www.greenforest.org
- In his Great Name Ministry (Fairburn) – call for food pantry appointment – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Tu, Wed, Th – http://www.inhisgreatname.org
- Midtown Assistance – (Atlanta) – apply online for assistance – http://www.midtownassistancectr.org
-zips served 30303, 30308, 30309, 30312, 30314
- Pleasant Baptist Church (Atlanta) – Food pantry – call for details – 404-688-6680 x 102 – zip served 30315
- New Horizons Ministry (Fairburn) – Food pantry – Wed. 2-6 p.m. and 4th 10 a.m. – noon
770-306-0270 – http://www.nhifmi.org
- Providence Missionary Baptist Church (Atlanta) – Food pantry – Fri. 10 a.m. – noon – 404-752-6869 – http://www.providenceatlanta.org
- Southwest Ecumenical Emergency Assistance Center (Atlanta) – Food pantry – M, Th – 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – 404-756-1699 – http://www.sweeac.org
- Toco Hills Community Alliance – St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church (Atlanta) – Food pantry – Tu, Wed, Thu at 1 p.m. – 404-325-0677 – http://www.tocohillsalliance.org – zips served 30002, 30021, 30032, 30033, 30079, 30306, 303076, 30117, 30319, 30324, 30329, 30340, 30341, 30345
- Sconiers Homeless Preventive Organization (Riverdale) – Food pantry – Tues. 7 – 10:30 a.m. register for food distribution at noon (404) 454-3554 – http://www.shpoinc.org
- World Changers Church (College Park) – Food pantry – M, W, F – 9-10:45 a.m. and 2-3:30 p.m. – 770-210-5700 x 2759 – http://www.worldchangers.org
- Many shelters remain open during this period, however, they are operating with reduced staff as they are asking volunteers to not come into work. The following are still in operation.
Many medical service providers are still open and servicing clients, however, they are curtailing non-essential medical procedures.
- Free and Income Based Clinics – Please visit FREE AND INCOME BASED CLINICS IN GEORGIA for the operations of local free clinics in your area.
- Mercy Care – MercyCare continues to provide free medical services including Coronavirus screenings in the metropolitan Atlanta area.
- Medicare Telehealth – Medicare has temporarily expanded its coverage of telehealth services to respond to COVID-19.Medicare beneficiaries can temporarily use telehealth services for common office visits, mental health counseling and preventive health screenings. This will help ensure Medicare beneficiaries are able to visit with their doctor from their home, without having to go to a doctor’s office or hospital, which puts themselves and others at risk.
Mental Health Support
- Free Telephonic Employee Assistance Program/Mental Health Support
United Healthcare and their affiliate OptumHealth are offering FREE telephonic services for anyone who feels they needs to speak to a mental health professional. You can reach them by calling 866-342-6892 and just tell them you are an individual who was told they could call and speak to a specialist.
- For Immediate Assistance
- Crisis Text Line
- GCAL (Georgia Crisis and Access Line)
- My GCAL app (Georgia Crisis and Access Line)
- Apple| Google Play
- Resources and Information
- CDC: Managing Anxiety and Stress During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Mental Health America of Georgia
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) COVID-19 Information and Resources
- UN News COVID-19: Mental Health in the Age of Coronavirus
- Resources for Parents and Teachers
- Children’s Mental Health Matters – Coronavirus
- Harvard Medical School – How to Talk to Teens About the New Coronavirus
- NASP – Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent
Government Programs and Services
- County Courts – Check with your county court on eviction proceedings (Fulton County has suspended landlord/tenant eviction hearings)
- DFCS – Division of Family and Children Services continues to be open. Use self-service online options if possible
Those without internet access can contact the DFCS Customer Contact Center at 877-423-4746 for additional information or to request a paper application. Once completed, applications and any required verification can be mailed back to your local county DFCS office. County office locations are available here.
- Resources for Service Workers
The Giving Kitchen provides emergency assistance to food service workers through financial support and a network of community resources. Learn more – https://thegivingkitchen.org/covid19
The National Domestic Workers Alliance has set up a Coronavirus Care Fund for nannies, caretakers, and house cleaners to slow the spread of the virus by providing emergency assistance that enables domestic workers to stay home and stay healthy. Learn more https://www.domesticworkers.org
- Department of Labor: Open but suspended in-person requirement for employment services. Services available can be found on their website.
- Important to note that clients who have been furloughed should visit the website and file a claim online to unemployment compensation.
- Remote Jobs – work from home
- Other Hiring Companies
- Amazon – https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/landing_pages/online-application
- Kroger – https://jobs.kroger.com/
- Domino’s (no contact delivery system) – https://jobs.dominos.com/dominos-careers/jobs#?siteCategory=in-store&size=10&useGeolocation=false
- Instacart – https://shoppers.instacart.com/
- Target – https://jobs.target.com/hourly-map-search
- CVS – https://jobs.cvshealth.com
- Spectrum Internet Assist provides affordable high-speed internet connection to low-income families, students and seniors for just $14.99 per month.
- PCs for People: A nonprofit organization that provides low-cost computers and free or affordable internet connection for low-income households. Potential recipients must be living below the 200% poverty level and currently enrolled in a government assistance program. PC for people offers high-speed internet for only $11.25 per month with no credit check or hidden fees. You will also be eligible to receive affordable PC or laptop repair for as low $25. Visit com to learn more or call 1-855-243-8892
- Access by AT&T: A low-cost wireless home internet plan for low-income households. Access by AT&T provides high-speed internet service for $5-$10 per month. At least one person of your household should receive SSI or SNAP benefits to be qualified. Visit att.com or call AT&T at 855-220-5211
- org – no income requirements EveryoneOn is a national nonprofit working to eliminate the digital divide by making high-speed, low-cost Internet service and computers, and free digital literacy courses accessible to all unconnected Americans. We work with device refurbishes, so individuals and their families can purchase discounted devices, including $150 tablets and $199 laptops. By calling 1-855-EVRY1ON or visiting everyoneon.org, users can discover the closest class in their communities. Go to https://www.everyoneon.org/find-offers?partner=cobbk12 to find resources in the area by zip code.
- A Prayer for Those Affected by the Coronavirus
God of Mercy, be with the tens of thousands of people who have contracted the coronavirus around the world. Comfort those whose loved ones have died. Bring peace to those living with uncertainty after perhaps being exposed to the virus. Give patience to those who are quarantined and unable to move freely in their communities.
Wise and Faithful Guide, watch over and protect other people from catching this deadly virus. Strengthen those who are risking their own lives to care for sick patients.
May we all be filled with compassion for those who are suffering.
- Prayer for a Pandemic – https://2nix922u0v5c1unycf149lry-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/aoa_prayerforapandemic.pdf
- Prayer When Unable to Receive the Blessed Sacrament in Person – An Act of Spiritual Communion
My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the Blessed Sacrament. I love you above all things and I desire you with all my heart. Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, I ask you to come spiritually into my heart. I embrace you as if you were already in my heart and unite myself to you completely. Please do not let me ever be separated from you.
- Mass Celebrated by Pope Francis – http://www.catholictv.org/shows/papal-programming
- Daily Words from Pope Francis on the Lenten Journey – sign up to receive emails – https://missio.lpages.co/missio-2020-01-16-jwtp-lent/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ad&utm_campaign=jwtp-lent-en&utm_content=LP-sign-up&fbclid=IwAR250H886MCKo-_cW9uHDtl5WKS1nTMOFIN6MgKk7EeGLAHiMlIkdzgJMMI
- Live Stream Mass – Archdiocese of Atlanta – https://livestream.com/archatl/dailymass
Note: Some churches may have modified their schedule
- Word on Fire Daily Mass – Google “Word on Fire Daily Mass” at 8:15 each morning to witness a live Mass conducted by Bishop Robert Barron and his associates from the Word on Fire ministry. It is an excellent way to start each day and to worship with countless numbers of other people attending the Mass via the Internet at the same time. It lasts approximately 30 minutes.
- The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Live stream Sunday Mass (10 a.m.) and Stations of the Cross (3 p.m.) https://www.catholicshrineatlanta.org/
Daily Reflection live chat with Fr. Dennis Dorner – https://www.facebook.com/ddornerjr
- Keeping the Lord Jesus at the Center – Spiritual activities for you and your family – https://archatl.com/covid-19/keeping-the-lord-jesus-at-the-center/
- Give us this Day – Free online access to daily prayers and Mass text – https://giveusthisday.org/Digital
Fostering Prayer Life in the Home – https://2nix922u0v5c1unycf149lry-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/free-resources-to-support-at-home-faith-formation-en.pdf